Saturday, October 27, 2007

Personal Quest: Major Protection

So... the Cauldron for Arcane Protection comes in somewhat handy when fighting Curator in Karazhan.

Kuan doesn't have this recipe, so earlier this week I finally decided to look up what can be done about it. Whoa, I learned about the Major * Protection Potions, which are not world drops but farmed off of specific mobs.

Then I lost the page in Wowwiki again. Last night I decided to find it again. That list is not well categorized! Or rather, not well linked-to within the wiki. Anyhow, to ease that pain, I reproduce it here as a Kuanchichi wish-list.

• [Recipe: Major Arcane Protection Potion]: dropped by Vir'aani Arcanists in Nagrand
• [Recipe: Major Fire Protection Potion]: dropped by Sunseeker Astromages in Normal-mode Mechanar
• [Recipe: Major Frost Protection Potion]: dropped by Nexus-Prince Shaffar (either Normal or Heroic), the last boss in Mana-Tombs
• [Recipe: Major Holy Protection Potion]: dropped by Abyssal Flamebringers in Blade's Edge Mountains
• [Recipe: Major Shadow Protection Potion]: dropped by Shadow Council Warlocks in Shadowmoon Valley

Since we almost always play together, the practical side of me insists if Kuan and Viljo farm it, and Viljo gets the recipe, then we should move on to farm another one. The completionist side of me is freaking out at the notion however.

Last night, Kuan hit the Vir'aani Arcanists, the Sunseeker Astromages, and the Abyssal Flamebringers. No alchemy recipe, although a nice blue BOE JC recipe dropped. But a good thing resulted: possibly becuase there was now something else to farm, or possibly becuase Jataka brought her pally alt, [Totem of the Void] finally dropped and I hit Need O So Fast.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually have farmed all the non-instance Major Protection * Potions. Cauldrons are discoveries, and it's taken me no more than 6 (in some cases, as little as 1) casts of the potion recipe to discover the cauldron.

Major Fire Prot is causing me heartache. I cannot count the number of times I have run Mech (heroic or non), and I have not yet seen it drop.

I haven't seen Major Frost Prot drop either, but I do not go into M-T as often as I might wish.

draNgNon said...

From what I have read, the Major Fire prot only drops in normal Mech. Fortunately(?) I have had plenty of reasons to go in there as I know quite a few people who are not yet keyed for heroic TK. I get to look altruistic and still have a shot at recipe.

Turns out Kuan'd already gotten the Holy Prot. whee. Viljo hasn't.

I am sure Eeyan's first trip to Mech will see this recipe.

Unknown said...

You won't see the recipe drop on Eeyan unless there's another alchemist -- it's BoP, which means only alchy's can roll on it, and only they can see it.

The armory says it drops on both heroic and normal. Comments on wowhead also indicate that people have gotten it in heroic.

draNgNon said...

o hm, should update Wowwiki then.