Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Rob Pardo: More of a Sexist Asshole than I Thought.

The more I think about Rob Pardo's words the angrier I am. I tried to wait a week before I posted my thoughts to see if I cooled down, but I've actually only gotten more angry.

I really can not emphasize how FURIOUSLY ANGRY I am about Rob Pardo's attitude on workplace hiring: Yet in discussing this workplace gender imbalance, he notes "It's not because we don't want more women developers, it's just what the industry is," but then follows this up by arguing that when it comes to hiring women game designers, "I just don't get the applications."

I want to give a big FUCK YOU to Rob Pardo. As a woman who has been in software development for 11 years, this attitude almost seems designed to enrage me. Yes, there are fewer women than men in game development. There are fewer women in general in software development, and where the fuck does he thing they are going to come from if he spouts of sexist shit like that?!?

I am so amazingly angry I am almost in tears. There are very few things that make me angrier than someone telling me I DON'T EXIST. I'm not in the gaming industry, but I still write code for a goddamn living. I look at the Blizzard software job descriptions and there are a bunch in SF that I could qualify for. I wouldn't apply because it's absolutely clear to me that they have a toxic work environment if their Chief Creatice Officer is such a sexist asshole.

"However... today's gaming industry is not very diverse. I see hope with all the students in game programs" -- @Rob_Pardo

Fuck you asshole. How about you try to recognize the existing talent and make some effort to attract them? You know, instead of making the vast majority of women (and men who enjoy diversity) not want to touch your company with a ten ft pole.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazingly angry and almost in tears because of that sentence? hahahahaha i'm truely baffled. some dude says something on the internet you COULD interpretent wrong and you start to actually cry irl about it? damn life must be hard for you. I suggest you stop watching, reading, listening and playing any form of multimedia because it WILL hurt you.

now on topic, read his sentence again, he wants female developers but doesn't get the applications. not his fault. there just are few women working in IT, or gaming design in particular... again not his fault. you hire a person cause that person has skills, not because of the gender. that would be sexist. do you hear anyone crying because most of the shitty streetwork is done by males? how many times did you see a female garbage collector?

it's clear rob has the best intentions, it's clear he has nothing against women, but you twist his words around till you get "rob tells me i don't exist". well, stop having elephant toes, stop reading between the lines, and stop crying and whining about every random flea. thanks

Janelle said...

Standing behind you, sister. It's funny how idiot males will only post anon when they wantto try to troll.