Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I am the Mage Tank /flex

On Sunday we had our first official raid in about 3 weeks. It was a guild run of Gruul. Darkfall has done a bunch of recruiting and had more than enough 70s online to fill it all out. So it was our very first all guild Gruul run.

However, this was not the exciting part to me. The exciting part to me was that our regular mage tank was in the air flying home. So about an hour and a half before the raid started I got a whisper asking me if I could do the mage tank thing. I started looking at my stamina gear, and ended up spending the next hour frantically running to and from the bank and AH trying stuff on and putting stam gems, +10 stam armor patches, and +30 stam leg armor on gear. I ended up with 9423 hp unbuffed, which translated to 12k+ health raid buffed.

There was almost a snafu where the RL tried to ask one of the other mages to tank. (She had only 10k+ health fully raid buffed.) Fortunately she and I both spoke up and I got my two assigned healers.

First attempt my entirely inexperience healers didn't realize that I had to be kept topped off ALL the time. So I died the first time my stolen spellshield went away for a sec.

Second time someone else accidentally pulled and a tank died early on.

Third time I do the pull correctly and manage to time my firewards correctly to (I think) not take full damage from the fireballs. Everyone else does their job too and Lo! we kill Maulgar.

I was so nervous ahead of time and so happy that it actually worked! I spent a lot of gold getting my health up there to be able to do the mage tanking and I was just overjoyed to not let the guild (and myself) down. I gave my healers profuse thanks. :)

Anyway after Maulgar we went on to one-shot Gruul. Once again I lost the roll for my t4 pants. But since we one-shotted him I am completely sure that we won't ever be pugging people in again.

No comments: