Wednesday, November 12, 2008

TK Pug

Kuan and Vilo were offline when Darkfall killed Kael. We were both quite pissed as we are missing that vial remnant, and therefore lack a title and quest completion. Since Darkfall didn't raid this week because of upcoming expansion we weren't going to have a handy guild run to kill him again. So I decided, fuck it, I want to kill Kael. I'd gotten pugs together to go into heroics, a raid can't be too much harder since I can probably still get a bunch of guildies to come along.

So Sunday night I actually managed to get a raid together for TK. I'm the one who didn't talk on Vent for months after joining Darkfall, but here I was leading a raid in TK. I got a lot of help from various people. Had a couple of people doing the marking and pulling, and another couple telling me what mob did what and needed to die where for Kael. Without those people helping out the raid would never have gotten as far as it did get.

We oneshot Al'ar and Void Reaver and then only had time for 3 tries on Kael. Unfortunately he didn't go down in that time. So I told everyone that we'd try again on Monday night, and if they wanted to whisper me at 9pm server.

We tried again on Monday night, and had time for 5 tries, I think. Unfortunately that didn't go much better. We got the positioning for the advisers down and were able to reliably get to phase 4, but the MC in phase 4 just fucked us too hard. So no Kael dead, no Vial, and no title. :( Maybe when we are all mid-70s we can go back and kill him.

Now leading a pug TK raid on Vent was actually breaking one of my cardinal rules in WoW. Namely: don't let random people know that the male troll mage is a girl. My experience in the past has been that once someone knows you're a girl you're not really going to have a normal conversation with them, unless the other person happens to actually be mature. And even if they are mature, most of the guys will take a little bit of time to adjust to the fact that OMG!!1!! UR a Girl!! Girls play WoW??!?!!

So here I am, leading the raid, on vent. I did a little bit of talking, and someone was all "Is a girl leading our raid?" I briefly considered suggesting they leave if that was a problem, but settled for saying yes. There was a bit of talk about, oh good I was kind of afraid if that was a guy's voice. And most of it ended there.

Unfortunately not all of it ended there... There was a resto druid, who was pretty stoned, who hit on me a bit. He had clearly never encountered another female player, or at least another female player who admitted her gender to him. Not really surprising considering his attitude. He was quite surprised when I told him there were at least 2 other women in the raid.

Anyway, not that I didn't already appreciate Drognin and the other RLs we have, but leading a raid is hard. I imagine it'd be easier if it was an all guild run, where you can trust people, at least mostly, to do what they are told.

2 comments:

tanthalas said...

Fortunately for me, leading the past month of BT/Hyjal/Kael-ganks has been relatively painless, aside from trying to get the right roster together before the raids. It probably helps a lot that I'd always been an active part of the group who put together the boss strats (we call it the guild's Think Tank) and also the one who did all the healing assignments during both progression and farm content. It also helped that our former GM/RL was the main tank for these runs too.

I, for one, welcome our new male-troll-mage-raid-leading-girl-who-plays-wow overlord. ;)

Clara said...

>.<
Yeah, never having done any of the leadership bits of raiding it was a bit intimidating. I was lucky enough to have a bunch of people to lean on for stuff like marking, but I should have set up a healing person to manage that as well.

And of course there was the really scary bit of talking on Vent with people I didn't know. It really did take me months of raiding with Darkfall to talk at all on Vent with them.

Oh, and I definitely understand why our GL has an addon that pops every whisper into it's own frame. It's way too easy to miss a couple of important whispers while random people are all "u need huntr 4 Kael?"