Tuesday, August 26, 2008

the 1% wipe.

So, I took Eeyan to Gruul. Now he only needs a Heroic Slave Pens run to get his Champion of the Naaru. And moreover, the guild leader has agreed to start working him into higher-level raids as space permits. Yay!

I was going to post about that and about how I reworked Eeyan's UI for raid frames. But no, not now.

I've been in at least 4, possibly 5 1% wipes in the last week. For folks who know me in real life and not in Wow, they know just how terrifying and expletive-ridden my reaction to such a situation is.

A lot of times, my guildies - including the officers - have told me I'm too hard on myself. It sounds like my peer reviews at work, honestly. But even though the facade is similar, there is a fundamental difference here.

Last night I finally said, in raid chat, We'd all be better off if you all follow my example. If the raid wipes, think: that was my fault. And try to figure out what you did wrong. One of the tanks immediately took umbrage to it, said it was never his fault there was a wipe, and we got in an argument. I let it subside as it was again near those pre-Leotheras trash pulls in SSC that everyone always seems to screw up. Then we wiped on Leo at 1%.

That was my fault. I got hit with the whirlwind on 3 separate occasions, which meant out of the entire 10 minute fight I spent at least 36 seconds doing nothing but healing myself. Then I pulled aggro at 1% and he killed me. What a screwup. The raid leader called it in disgust. We dispersed.

Analysing the fight later, I think every last person in the raid could say something along those lines. It was one of the mage's fault as he died in the first whirlwind. It was the bear tank's fault becuase the bear tank let him get loose a couple times while in elf-form. It was the healer's fault for getting killed by Inner Demon. It was one of the paladin's fault becuase he stood too far away from the warlock tank to get his FR over cap, and the warlock went down. It was Tobis' fault, becuase Tobis is just Tobis.

I could keep going but I won't. Instead I will look at another 1% wipe - Kaz in Hyjal. It was my fault becuase I popped before my Mana Pot timer was up. So I popped just to blow up again, taking a healer out on the process, whereas if I'd've waited we'd've had it. It was one of the mage's fault becuase he blew up in the middle of all the casters. It was the raid leader's fault for not telling people to spread out. No wait it was a pally tank's fault becuase he didn't run out when his mana was low and he blew up the melee. It was the shaman's fault for not Bloodlusting early enough.

And so on.

No goddamn it, this is not my being too hard on myself. This is the attitude everyone should have if they give a shit at all about playing a game that involves group play. The Darkfall officers took far too long to let the rest of us see what wowwebstats had to say. But now I can see it, I can tell.

The wipes are all my fault.

As far as performance though, going back to that SSC run last night, which had a 1% wipe on both Leo and Lurker, I topped the meters for overall raid damage. Honestly, much as I wish that was a boast, I didn't have any performance of note. I think instead that should more be taken as evidence that the rest of the mages and locks in the raid need to take on the attitude I'm talking it, individually accept the blame for the 1% wipes, and try to figure out what they did wrong.

Becuase 1% is pathetic, and unless you die with 0 mana at the very last second, you could have done better, goddamn it.

No comments: