Thursday, August 16, 2007

Kuanchichi and mana regen

Preamble: At about level 40, I realized that with the acquisition of a decent lesser heal, having points in a faster healing wave was a waste for the elemental-spec'd Kuanchichi. So I respec'd.

Kuan has only respec'd once since then, that I paid gold for. That was when I decided the proc rate on Lightning Overload was ass, and put the points in the resto tree.

...

Anyhow, last night Kuan got the spiffy epic belt of goodness. Now he had in his bags for use with healy gear, the Uvuros Hide Cinch, which has better +heals even than the Wave-song Girdle, and mp5 as well, but is inferior in all other aspects. This got me calculating, as Kuan's mana regen is very poor for his healy outfit, and actually not so great for his caster-dmg gear either. so, i'd lose +3 to heals but gain a little over 1% crit, which means over 100 casts i would have gained probably 350 points healed...

I talked to Wendy about this and Clara too, and they are all 'Screw that! Mana regen! Doesn't Shaman have a mana-regen-while-casting-talent? Why are you not using that!' So I looked, and it's 'Unrelenting Storm,' tier 5 in the ele tree! What a good thing for Kuan, although I bet all the resto-shamans out there hate the placement. Meanwhile... I'd put it out of my mind recently, but Kuan has the tier 4 talent 'Eye of the Storm', which triggers 6 seconds of Focused Casting on a not-spell crit. I've been thinking it was a waste of 3 points, as to get any use of the talent Kuan has to initiate immediately a Lightning Bolt cast after drawing aggro, which is just plain stupid. I'd just put them there to get lower in the tree, and was undecided on what to do to fix this stupidity. But now I shall move them to the mana regen talent. It will be Kuan's third paid-for respec; I guess it will cost 10g.

Meanwhile, looking at his healy gear, I will see if Teltanara can get a quick enchanting skillup by putting mp5 on his healy chest. Then it will be all around goodness as Kuan will be much more viable as a caster (his non-healy belt had very little spellpower) and a healer.

4 comments:

tanthalas said...

Hmmm, I have a feeling that most Shamans do still pick up Lightning Overload since it's more DPS, despite its low proc rate. But I suppose if you can spend those points better... :)

Here's a DPS spreadsheet for Shamans that might help you figure out how to maximize your points:
http://www.stasistech.com/wow/

And *sigh*. I don't remember the time when my respecs were 10g only. I've been paying 50g respecs for so long now. Good thing I don't respec 3 times a week anymore...

draNgNon said...

I would rather have sustained DPS than be bursty. That provides more control in a party or raid. Lightning Overload is very bursty... and has a low proc rate.

draNgNon said...

That calculator is neat, I will have to swap Kuan into his caster gear and try it out from a not-work locale. But it's missing some talents that affect DPS. e.g. I have 25 points in the resto tree, one is Nature's Guidance which increases spell tohit. I don't have the talent but it's also missing Reverberation which affects your cooldowns, and Mental Quickness which reduces mana cost of the shocks.

Unknown said...

You know, after we had that discussion about how the Tarren Mill Defender's Clutch couldn't get to +35 heals, I realized it could have, if you ignored socket bonuses.

There's a blue-quality gem that is +18 heals. (some living ruby) You had two sockets, so that's +36.

But, of course, it's all water under the bridge now ...