Friday, July 27, 2007

everything turns grey

it occurred to me yesterday that last night Zalona would be offline. so at dinner I suggested that Wendelina come out and help Vhaas and Khyrie clear the rest of Sunken Temple - the bottom part that nobody likes.

Wendelina couldn't log in til later because of RL things, so we killed some time running around Blasted Lands doing the Fallen Hero of the Horde questline. (weird how Alliance doesn't get the first part of the chain in SoS; all they learn is: stupid Horde got their asses kicked.) here's some trivia: the Fallen Hero of the Horde's name is Trebor.

finally Wendelina logged on, and we cleared our quests in the instance, huzzah! (observation: Wendelina does, probably by habit, that PvP trick, frostnova then jump jump back) I had Vhaas bring out Belore, her lvl 50 wolf, which is her instance pet. I was hoping he'd catch up in level a little bit. but no!!! everything we killed other than a boss (level 50) and a wandering hakkari snake (51) was grey.

now, it seems to me that Blizzard needs to pay some attention to the game balance in the existing game play in Azeroth. in the pre-Wow-2.0 world, level 48 was green (xp and/or honor) all the way up to 60. so for our lvl 58 night elves, a large part of what we downed, which generally consisted of lvl 48/49 elites with a boatload of lame lvl 45 adds, was clearly designed to have delivered experience. but the 2.0 changed, which tightened up the xp- and honor- earning brackets, wrecked all that. I have been noticing that affecting other instances... by the time a character is big enough to handle Uldaman, the entire pre-instance is grey...

I know, it sounds like whining, but honestly. the dranei and BE starter areas are expansion content too. but once those races hit the 20s they exit those areas, to find quite a struggle leveling up without some very precise planning, if they don't want to spend a lot of time killing grey mobs to finish collection quests.

4 comments:

tanthalas said...

Hmm, I don't think I ever ran into that problem before. Do you guys use Jame's guide for leveling, by any chance? I suppose it's a little too late now, but he has you running instances after you've done all the prereqs, and by that time most of the instance quests are green or yellow, even post-TBC.

The biggest gripe I really have about Alliance quest chains is the one to in The Stockades. Somehow, Blizzard thinks that it makes perfect sense to have a quest chain inside a level 25-30 instance whose prerequisite is a level 31 elite quest.

tanthalas said...

I also forgot to mention that with the itemization changes post-TBC, a lot of the old world instances are pretty ridiculously easy even if you're underleveled or at level with the mobs in the instance.

If anything, this probably is the main reason why they tightened the xp/honor window.

Unknown said...

The Stockades quest chain that involves Dark Iron War is indeed lame. I have whined about it on every Alliance toon I have levelled. Bleargh.

draNgNon said...

I don't use any guide for leveling. I play the game because it is fun. the xp and gear I get are a side effect. I know the game well enough I could probably hit 70 with all 3 - Tris, Eeyan, Vhaas - by the end of next month if I wanted. but I'm not going to prove that assessment. they'd be undergeared and behind in professions, and that sort of playing wouldn't be terribly fun; I remember when Wendy did that with her priest to get Chay to 60.

that said. with my hunters (I have a Horde hunter as well) I pay more attention to mobs that deliver xp becuase the pets are restricted to kill experience, and even though the pet xp is weighted for pet level they still get nothing if the mob is grey to the character.